Sunday, November 26, 2006

Project 21

This is a summary of a multi-day project started on Saturday a week ago yesterday. We were able to get 3 and a half solid days of work on the car. I can't remember quite what we did when, but it's all here.

To recap our last episode, it was decided that the wing was shite. We then ripped off the bottom molding and wailed away at it with various implements of distruction to include whiz wheels, sanders, air saw, two pry bars, a couple of big screwdrivers and a dead-blow hammer. We then decided to mount what was left on the factory steel decklid.

This is a general picture showing it clamped down.
We had to sever the crosspiece from the wing, reposition it and glass it back up. We also had to prep the inside edge of the wing, where it meets the metal to insure a good mounting surface.


Same thing at the back.

The next thing we did was epoxy it on and clamp and screw it down.

So, obviously, the hard part of doing this is blending the top of the wing onto the steel in such a way that it flows with the body, maintains all the appropriate lines and, well, looks right. After the bonding and initial sanding, the top looked like the pic above.

After 6 hours of work and the application of liberal amounts of elbow grease this is the finished product. It was built up using epoxy. This stuff is stable, sandable and bonds well to both the steel surface and the fiberglass. Final preparation was done using Evercoat. It took a lot of work. The thickest part of it is at most a quarter of an inch. It's a little thick but it looks good and the epoxy should remain stable.

Here's another shot.

We also had several seams along the rear edge that weren't bonded from the factory. There were some voids and brittle gel coat. We didn't have any kitty hair so we made some our own by chopping up fibers and forcing them into the cracks with a screwdriver. We also surfaced the top of the wing some. It needs more, but that's as far as we could get.

We also had to blend in the rear lip. That was straightforward, except for the cramped angle under the wing itself. That made it a real bear to contend with.

We remounted the doors so that we could check gaps and surfaces. It looks like we traveled a mile when, in fact, we only traveled an inch - if you take my meaning. Psychologically it was huge. Lisa saw it as significant progress.

Chris also found time to finish up the lower fender well while I was driving all over town trying to find a can of lacquer primer to use as a guide coat. It looks really good.
Next week, I'm in Arizona for Lisa's dad's 60th birthday.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home