Sunday, August 20, 2006

Project 9 - Remove Rocker Boxes and Rear Bumper

It's Sunday. I got up early and went to Starbucks in the Miata with the top down. When I got back, I sat in the garage and stared at the 911 for awhile. I guess it was the caffeine, but I decided to go ahead and see how far I could get in a single weekend. The girls were still asleep anyway.
The rocker comes off in four parts. First remove the endcaps. There are two bolts per endcap. Then pull the rubber strip out. Don't be ginger, just grab a handful and pull. This reveals 6 sheet metal screws that screw the thing to the body. Remove those. Then there are three bolts up underneath the car that are used to retain the oil hardpipes. These bolts also retain the lower edge of the rocker. That took 10 minutes per side.

I didn't take any pictures of the rear bumper removal. It was super-simple. The lower body panels (in front of the accordians) have three screws each. Take those out. The bumper has three vertical screws that retain it against the lower body. The bumper is retained to the impact shocks with two bolts per side. Remove the rubber strip from the bumper to reveal them (I used a pry bar - poor form, I know).

Here's what it looks like now. (Note how clean the garage is. Thanks to Lisa for cleaning it up!)



There was a little rust perforation on the lower body just to the rear of the jacking point. Nothing too serious, but it will require work that was originally not in the Gantt chart (OK, so I didn't use a Gantt chart, but you get the idea).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home